|King's College for Women|
Location: 13 Kensington Square, London, England
Founded: 1885 as the King's College London Ladies' Department
Closed: Men admitted in 1953, name changed to Queen Elizabeth's College
From the King's College London website:
Queen Elizabeth College (QEC) had its origins in the Ladies' (later Women's) Department of King's, opened in 1885. The first King's 'extension' lectures for ladies were held at Richmond in 1871, and from 1878 in Kensington, with chaperones in attendance.
In 1881 the Council resolved 'to establish a department of King's College London, for the higher education of women, to be conducted on the same principles as the existing departments of education at this college'. By 1886 the King's College London Ladies' Department at 13 Kensington Square had 500 students. In 1902 it became the King's College London Women's Department and in 1908 King's College for Women. In 1907 lectures were given in subjects then thought to be specially relevant to women, such as 'the economics of health' and 'women and the land', and in 1908 systematic instruction in household and social sciences began.
In 1915 the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women opened at Campden Hill, Kensington, while other departments were transferred to the Strand site. In 1928 the Department became completely independent at King's College of Household and Social Science, and in 1953 it received a royal charter, its name was changed to Queen Elizabeth College and men were admitted for the first time. The College became distinguished in particular for its teaching and research in nutrition, physiology, hygiene and bacteriology. It was recognised as a School of the University of London in 1956. It merged with King's in 1985.
Alumni of the Women's college, its predecessors and QEC include Queen Victoria's grand-daughter Margaret, who became Queen of Sweden, Radclyffe Hall, the Lesbian writer, and Sir Richard Sykes, Rector of Imperial College London.